Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:17:58 -0700
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 3:05 AM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Printed emails aren't searchable and don't retain all of the associated
> metadata," notes *FCW's* Adam Mazmanian
> <http://fcw.com/articles/2015/03/09/clinton-email-headache.aspx>. "They
> also aren't necessarily threaded or nested in a way that gives a
> chronological account of an ongoing email exchange. These factors make
> printed emails difficult for archivists to use."

Funny, but I don't recall paper correspondence being "threaded or nested"
either and the way "chronological accounts" of an exchange were made was by
sorting PRINTED documents and filing them.

NARA needs to put their "big boy pants on" and get a grip... until they
have formally revised 36CFR, the guidance in 1236.22(f) states:

"Agencies that maintain paper recordkeeping systems must print and file
their electronic mail records with the related transmission and receipt
data specified by the agency's electronic mail instructions"

This is the path forward if an agency does not have an electronic mail
system that meets the ERMS requirements in 1236.20... and many/most don't.

Again, the unfunded mandate rears it's ugly head... there are regulations
created to indicate the best case scenario, but no funding is provided to
allow agencies to comply.

Another case of "God creating a rock heavier than He can lift"

Oh and if you work for an organization that has to comply with 36CFR,
riddle me this... what have you done to meet the requirement for email in
1236.22(a)3 ?

"If the electronic mail system identifies users by codes or nicknames or
identifies addresses ONLY BY THE NAME OF A DISTRIBUTION LIST, retain the
intelligent or full names on directories or distribution lists to ensure
identification of the sender and addresses(s) of messages that are records."

I mean, these distribution lists are dynamic, so people are added and
removed as they change roles, or the 'people' might be a department or
division, who does subsequent distribution to their internal staff by
another distribution list...  and how do you maintain the association
between an individual (or series) of emails and a distribution list over
time?

If "these factors make printed emails difficult for archivists to use" I
can guarantee you archivists are going to be having similar or greater
difficulties searching electronic copies of email messages when they are
transferred in compliance with the convoluted requirements in 36CFR 1235.50
which states (in part)

"Agencies must transfer electronic records in a format that is independent
of specific hardware or software...."

So what happens to the headers, dates, distribution lists, attachments, and
everything else associated with the email messages... and how do they
search them if they can't use the software/applications that generated them?

...the rock is becoming heavier, NARA... and this weight has existed since
2003.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*