Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:37:09 -0700
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 6:44 AM, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> if you've not read the just released State Dept IG report about email you
> should. from the highlights
> "In 2011, employees created 61,156 record emails out of more than a
> billion emails sent. Employees created 41,749 record emails in 2013."
>
> as a percentage that is about 6 decimal points to the right
> the report can be found here
> http://oig.state.gov/system/files/isp-i-15-15.pdf

Anyone who shudders at the thought of  'a billion emails a year' and a
small percentage being saved is unfamiliar with the volume of email that is
received by large institutions... and I'm not even talking about State.Gov
type of large, which has offices around the World.

In our annual computer use briefing at our "Little ol' Institution" there
is data related to email and it was relatively surprising the first time
they started including this info for us to see.

Per month, we receive over 16 million incoming messages (the number is
between 16m and 53m, but 16m is the low average).

Of those 16m, 97% (15.5m) are dropped by perimeter filters because they are
either SPAM (20%) or contain Malware (80%).  And that's just our
incoming... that does not include internal or outgoing... so as a single
entity, we see somewhere between 400m and over a billion messages a year.

I have a pilot program where a small number of users are tracking their
email, using simple stats- record vs non-record, and where record, <2yr,
between 2-10y, 10-25y or >25y retention.  On average, 3% is record, more
than half of those are <2yr.  In my case (because I do committee work and
handle separation files), my records are 5% and 3% are >25y.

Don't be fooled by the numbers and the percentages.  A billion received,
includes a copy to each of a vast number of staff of routine, transitory
(180 day retention) messages, multiple times a day all year long. And this
doesn't even account for the spam and malware that never makes it to
anyone's desktops.  If ours is 97%, I can only imagine how hard State.gov
gets hammered.

Perspective people, get some facts when you look at these numbers, don't
get sucked in by the hyperbole.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*