Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:17:41 -0700
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> This is the CAPSTONE approach recently put out by NARA.
> "Email records from the email accounts of officials whose role within the
> agency predominantly creates permanent records: AGENCY will retain
> permanent email records according to the approved Capstone records
> schedule and then accession them into the National Archives of the United
> States."

Capstone is an "approach" 36CFR is the regulation.

> in Jesse's example both Secretary Clinton's and AG Holder's email, I
> assume, would have been retained permanently as agency heads

yes, for those email messages that meet the definition of a RECORD, and
only those email messages...both incoming and outgoing

" The Capstone approach allows for the capture of records that should be
> preserved as permanent from the accounts of officials at or near the top of
> an agency or an organizational subcomponent.  "
> http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/bulletins/2013/2013-02.html

Again, it's an 'approach'  and not a regulation... I don't know why they
bothered developing this 'guidance',  really.  CHANGE 36CFR to addreess the
issue, don't issue another set of 'guidance'.

more information about NARA's approach to email management can be found here
> http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/email-mgmt.html

and no matter what they do, until 36CFR is revised, it doesn't matter.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*