Sender:
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:22:39 -0600
My tuppence as the snow falls in CO:

I think the notion of an IGer is the same as the notion of an ITer. A DBA
is not a network admin is not a software developer, but we call all of them
"IT". I know many have equated "IG" to "RM" (or "RIM"), but it ain't the
same. Similarly, while RM works in IG in my mind, IG also includes privacy,
DLP, information security, structured data, engagement, information
exploitation, etc. An RM person could become the CIGO just as a DBA could
rise to become a CTO or CIO, but it isn't the only route.

There's a CTO or CIO in many orgs that is responsible for the strategic use
of IT and its alignment to the overall org strategy; I could get on board
with a CIGO that had, as its mandate, everything from RM to DLP to content
management to privacy to etc. - think the process side that complements and
is supported by the tech side. So it's not jack of all trades, master of
none in my head - rather it's assembling complementary process-focused IM
disciplines to all pull in the same direction and with someone to lead it
with a strategic focus.

--
Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM, IGP