Sender:
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 18:13:59 +0000
From:
"Steward, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Let me begin by thanking both Bill and Pilar for their insights.  I hope we will receive more responses.  Let me add a dynamic I did not mention in my original question.  Pilar, it was something you said that triggered this message.  There is a trend, at least to a degree in the Legal industry, to go to Legal support teams.  The concept is to create "teams" to provide administrative support to a large group of attorneys and paralegals.  It is intended to distribute work in a more efficient manner as well as create more Legal assistants (LAA) who have the experience to cover more types of work.  This is my interpretation of the reasons, not that of my firm.

The result is that any given LAA has a higher likelihood to encounter walled matters since each LAA is now working on a broader range of cases.  If you work, or have worked, in a law firm you realize how this affects the walls.  Thus, as with Pilar's account, we have a catalyst that is creating a lot more work just to manage existing walls.  I'm sure this will eventually be a decision for the GC but I am looking to this group to provide information that assists with the process of making the decision.

Thanks Bill and Pilar!

David B. Steward
Director of Records

HUSCH BLACKWELL LLP