Sender:
From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2015 10:42:50 -0500
Yes, and well. "Internship" should not be another term for slave labor. If
you are hiring interns, it should be a means to establishing a pipeline for
hiring new talent into your organization, not a means to get cheap (or
free) labor to do some nasty projects that have been sitting around
forever. The work assigned to an intern should have value both for them and
your organization. You should hire an intern like you would hire any other
staff person -- and have an expectation that if they work well, you will
have a spot for them when they graduate.

Since my organization is part of IT, our scale for interns is the same for
all IT interns That would be between $20 and $30 an hour, with undergrads
at the lower end. We also have a housing program, which provides a reduced
lodging fee at an extended stay hotel near our offices. They also get full
benefits of full time employees for the period of the internship.

That said, we haven't posted a records management intern position in a few
years because we need to have an opening or plan an opening for anyone in
the program.

If the positions you plan to hire are simply supplemental labor for the
summer, specify that rather than calling them internships. And don't bring
someone in to do work if you don't plan to pay them. That's dishonest. And
you get what you pay for. And running afoul of the FLSA isn't worth it
either.

Patrick Cunningham, FAI