Sender:
From:
"Cathy Sanford, JD, MLIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2015 09:45:21 -0400
Hi Everyone.

I'm a recent grad of LSU's MLIS program and LSU Law School. Both offered a
way around the paid/unpaid question. As an MLIS student, I participated in a
semester long field experience. I received class credit and no pay. The work
was meaningful to both myself and my sponsor. I received weekly mentoring
from a RIM professional and created deliverables for her and my professor. As
a JD, I participated in a semester long externship program, essentially an
unpaid internship. But again, I received class credit, completed work that was
meaningful, and had weekly mentoring from a seasoned attorney. Both of
these experiences led to job placements upon completion of the class.

I understand the concerns surrounding free labor. However, if the student is
getting something of value from the experience (e.g. class credit, mentoring,
exposure to community, etc.), then the labor isn't actually free. I think one of
the measuring devices is who is getting more out of the experience, the intern
or the organization.