Sender:
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2015 16:57:18 -0400
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
​Jim,
I totally agree with you.  My first thought as I was reading your post is
that we probably spend most of our time preaching to the choir because
those are the people who "come" to our meetings, webinars etc.

Is it our responsibility to go out and find those businesses that don't
make the effort to know the rules, regulations and laws for their own
businesses?  Probably not a "responsibility" but certainly a
commendable effort of good citizenship.  Don't they have tax accountants
and lawyers who advice them?  Do we need to educate these two groups?

My gut says that the medical office would/should have known the laws
regarding protection of their patient records; but it appears that FileFax
is primarily a moving/storage/truck rental business.  They probably don't
think of themselves as records and information managers.

Perhaps this could be a collaborative effort of the various records and
information professional associations (ARMA, AAIM, NAID, PRISM etc) to
conduct a marketing/publicity campaign to the Small Business Associations,
municipal and county business organizations, or even a connection with the
state offices that issue business licenses - a flyer/brochure to each
registered and new business licensee?  Who knows maybe it would even
generate a few new members?

Thanks for articulating that our focus needs to be outward not just inward.

Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371