Sender:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2015 11:18:12 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Register of deeds: Bill would 'destroy the integrity' of records
> Date: June 4, 2015 at 10:14:23 PM EDT
>

> GRAHAM — County Register of Deeds Hugh Webster opposes a bill that, if
> approved, would require him, at the request of law enforcement personnel,
> prosecutors and judicial officers, to remove personal information,
> including names and addresses, from records currently available online.
>
> House Bill 477 was filed April 1 and approved by the House 113-0 April 30.
> The bill passed its first reading in the state Senate that day and was
> referred to a Committee on Rules and Operations of the Senate, where it
> remains.

The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again.  Towns kept their information in a vault.  The Deed Books were not on-line.  Some Town Managers thought it would be great to put everything on line and guess what, it spiked Identity Theft.

Keeping Deed Books, Death and Birth Records and other records with identifying information locked in the vault protected the citizens in so many ways. Access was limited and you knew who was in the vault and for how long.

Certain States are excellent at controlling this and others not so much.  Massachusetts and Connecticut really control the process from the State Level and this creates a uniformity and security that benefits the citizens.

China’s hacker community just recently hacked several big agencies and took away all of the employees at DHS and a few other agencies Identity records. Couple this with the recent IRS hack and you see hackers going after the big archives of PII.

The Cloud is also being hacked daily but the vendors either don’t have the skills to detect it or they are suppressing the information due to the cost of the breach notifications.

DHS is afraid that private information can be used to develop blackmail files on staff and this opens the door to security breaches within the agency.

All of our Presidential candidates are vulnerable to blackmail if their servers and emails are now in the hands of other foreign agents.The China hack was probably more of a warning shot to say “We have your private information and we can use it if we want.”

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM