Sender:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:03:19 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM, mwhaider <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ​I'm not sure if you are writing a policy (that includes definitions),
> procedures or a records retention schedule that uses these terms.  But what
> is clear to me is that all terms/definitions and procedures must be in
> sync.
>
> It does not matter what
> people call their various files, but it is necessary to know the content
> and the responsible person/function in order to identify some
> information/data as a backup.

(snipped to save valuable electrons =) )

I COMPLETELY agree with the first statement... an organization SHOULD have
a clear policy as to 'roles and responsibilities' around these functions,
and that should include a set of definitions EVERYONE is in agreement on.

As for the second statement... it DOES MATTER VERY MUCH what people call
these files, once you have that set of definitions.  Especially, during a
discovery or other legal action.  When your organization puts together a
data map (identifying where records exist and who manages them) you don't
want 'rogue backups and archives' popping up.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*