Sender:
From:
"Bauer, Laura - CM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:31:05 +0000
My name is Laura and I am new to this listserve.  I have belonged to our state listserve for municipal clerks  for years and have found it be helpful in the success of my career.  Sadly, over the span of 18 years, I have not focused on RIM as I did my other clerk duties and find myself working and studying extra hard to become just as proficient in RIM as I am in my other duties.  When I began working in my current organization, they were in the final stages of implementing an ECM system, sadly a solid workflow, indexing and taxonomy was not structured prior to implementation and we now have a system that is as decentralized as the rest of our records program.  In 2013, the city manager formed what was called the Triage Team to work on some critical subjects: procurement, contracting, and document management.  This team put forth the recommendation that we needed a document management system .  My response was we don't manage records very well  and now you want to add another layer to the mess.  So I worked with our legal department and IT department to come with an RFP for an entire RIM Assessment and Strategic Plan to address RIM in its entirety.

What I'm getting at is to Lisa's post and Mary's very well-said response.  Lisa, I think you have been given a great opportunity that I believe you should embrace.  I look at document management as a piece of the bigger picture and you have an opportunity to shape policy and procedures that will make your job easier in the long run, and incorporate this piece of RIM into the records management culture of your organization.  Best of luck.  L

Laura Bauer,  MMC
City Clerk
City of Commerce City
7887 E. 60th Ave.