Sender:
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:41:14 +0530
From:
Vipul Swarup <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Havilah

Just some points on why Sharepoint (or any other Document Management System)
is better than share drives:

- Access Control -- as you mentioned, a DMS will allow you to have better
control over who can access what document.
- Workflows -- most DMS systems will have capabilities for workflows. Most
basic example is that a user could start a workflow to send a document for
approval to another user. There could be alerts and reminders built around
this. (I am personally not familiar with Sharepoint's workflow capabilities,
but I would imagine it does them well).
- Scalability -- because DMS systems use modern database & storage
technology, it is easier to scale them for very large volumes of documents.
- Document Retrieval by Metadata -- documents can be tagged with metadata
tags, which make them easier to search for. E.g. a Resume might be tagged
with the Employee Number and Interview Date. It would then be possible to
search by Employee Number or Interview Date and find this resume.
- Full text search -- most DMS systems would index the full text of
documents. Typically you would be able to search-for and find documents much
faster via a keyword based search, than you would be able to in a windows
desktop search across share drives.

- Uploading -- you are correct that mostly users would be uploading files.
But some DMS systems allow mounting directories just like share drives, so
drag and drop is possible. Some systems even allow dragging and dropping
into the browser for easy upload. This link:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/enabling-cifs-sharepoint-33397.html talks
about enabling CIFS in Sharepoint, which allows mounting sharepoint
repositories just like share-drives.

I hope this helps, and I hope I understood your question well. Do feel free
to reach out with more questions.
You can read more on my company's blog as well:
https://eisenvault.com/blog/benefits-of-a-document-management-system/

Thanks & Best Regards,
Vipul Swarup
Co-Founder