Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2016 16:42:05 +0000
From:
"Steward, David" <[log in to unmask]>
This response is not directed at an individual but at all who espouse electric cars as "cleaner".  I recognize that regenerative systems that transfer kinetic energy to potential energy (batteries) are indeed capturing what would otherwise be lost, and at no impact to the environment during that process.  But let's be honest about electric vehicles that are recharged by connecting to the grid.  These vehicles are not pollution free as many describe them.  Rather, they transfer the pollution from the vehicle to the power generation facility.

We all know that the current US leadership is very negative towards any conventional generation.  Gas, coal, and nuclear are seen as poor choices and are to be avoided.  Emphasis is on bio (which is dubious at best from corn), wind (which is destroying birds at an alarming rate and has a high NIMBY quotient), and solar (again killing birds at an alarming rate in solar farm configurations).  And these technologies will not come close to meeting the majority of our energy demands.  That leaves, in the current world, the three evil choices.

Now consider the batteries.  Again it is a NIMBY issue.  I know of a situation where a community had the chance to get a battery recycling plant.  That is a good thing isn't it?  I mean would you want to see those just end up in a landfill?  But the community didn't want the filthy operation in their community.  They were in doubt about the future environmental impact for their children.  And we want to have hundreds of millions of electric cars full of batteries?  Just like wind farms, everyone wants alternative energy but not in their backyard.

I am not writing this to say that I am favoring coal, nuclear, and gas.  I just want the "record" to be clear and fair.  Electric cars produce pollution.  This is true when they are manufactured, when they are operating, and when they die.  Energy and motive power are dirty.  There are degrees of filth.  It can be good to transfer pollution from the downtown core to the desert where it impacts few if any people.  But be honest about the issues so the debate has integrity.

David B. Steward
Director of Records
Direct:  816.983.8860