Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2016 18:28:27 -0700
Sender:
I'm going to reply to snippets of Hugh's post below.

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 8:09 AM, Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Records management is fractured.  In the past it was about classification, retention and protection.

It depends on the model and policy an organization employs. It's true, however, that the greater the volume of ESI an organization has, the smaller the role in overall, complete, control the RIM function exercises over ALL content.

> The concept of getting rid of old records was not as big of an influence.  Now Shredding records is more important than storage of records.

Oh, I think I differ on this.  Having done this for 42 years, I can tell you that ensuring records were disposed of when retention was met has ALWAYS been important. It was actually MORE important in a largely physical format Records environment as volumes grew and both office and dedicated central storage space were impacted.

> Shredding of records is now considered as Protection from Identity Theft and Industrial Sabotage.  Destruction as Protection!!  Time travel back 30-40  years and RM’s would be amazed.

30-40yrs ago identity theft was a minor issue and it's a bigger problem largely because of electronic records, and in many cases, "records" being created by simply entering information on web based forms, resulting in content being stored in data files. There was much less identity theft when the information was contained in paper records.

> The offsite storage industry is shrinking and that is why there is such dramatic consolidation.

The industry is changing... retention periods aren't becoming any shorter. But they are being disposed of closer to the end of their retention periods, which in many cases are FAR LESS than the 16yrs they were being left in storage.

> Who really controls records management now?  Who will control it in five years?

Let me get out my crystal ball... or I guess I can avoid that by simply saying "it depends" =)

> ARMA had such clear direction at a time.  (Or am I romanticizing a time period? )

You KNOW my thoughts on this. ;^)

> But I do not feel people returned home from ARMA’s conference with as clear a sense of direction as they did in the earlier times.

Hugh, you and I have discussed this a lot over the past 6-7 years. In part, attendees don't take away the same things, because the length of the conference is shorter and there's less offered. And the "theme" changes based on what arma thinks people want.  They ask, but they ask a year in advance, the response (similar to voter turnout) is limited, and those who attended in 16 may have only included a small % of those who responded, when data was gathered to determine content being offered.

> I also think that “Records Protection” and “Vital Records Protection” are not controlled by the records manager as back in the days of paper records.

To a degree, I agree. Every organization structures the roles and responsibilities of managing electronically managed content differently. In some cases, RIM has an active role in these concepts, in others they do not.

But I CAN tell you that how organizations (and Federal Agencies) will be managing and defining "Vital Records" will be changing drastically in the near future, thanks to changes in the CFR... something I think is a BIG mistake, for many reasons (that I won't go into here).

> Information Management and Information Governance was an attempt to gain a handle on this but records management is much more ethereal now.  So the Cloud was an intuitive choice by Big Data.

IG is RIM snake oil. It's a rebranding of what us "old timers" know as Organizational Records and Information Management, (or what I prefer to call Information Asset Management). And if you ask 5 companies who are selling EyeGee services what it is, you get 5 different answers.

The private "cloud" has been in use by business for a long time, they just never called it a cloud.  It's servers, in one or another configuration, with broad access provided to content by those with a need for access.  It's been done through a network rather than a web interface, but NOW, some private clouds employ web based interfaces.

The "public" or "public/private" cloud has been forced on users at a personal level by changes made to HOW 'we' use our own information, and the 'devices' we elect to use to access our information.

What I mean by this is IF you wanna access all your poop from any device (your desktop, pad, tablet, phone, watch, whatever) it has to be stored SOMEWHERE that allows that, bcuz you don't have sufficient storage capabilities on ALL your devices to have a synced copy of everything on all of them. And many people "feel the need" to have this, so they Bow to the Cloud.

> What are the 10 Commandments of Records Management in 2016?
1.     The Official Record is THE record. However, any reasonable copy shall still save (or hang) you in court.
2.     You shall not reinterpret the CFR or Organizational Policy, nor apply it in vain.
3.     Remember to keep holy Records Management Week
4.     Honor Alan Andolsen and William Benedon's teachings on RIM through eternity
5.     You shall not destroy Records prior to the completion of their required retention, nor while they are under discovery, even if that time period exceeds required retention.
6.     You shall not commit intentional corruption of the content of Records, nor alter their provenance.
7.     You shall not remove Records from your employer or Agency on separation, nor shall you provide copies to unauthorized persons.
8.     You shall not bear false witness when called to testify regarding your role or your organization's policy regarding management of Records
9.     You shall not covet the Records of others, in any form or format, on any form of media or in The Cloud.
10. You shall not (sadly) expect third parties to manage your Records as if they were their own, nor to accept responsibility if they are lost in a catastrophic event, they failed to protect against.

Good stuff, Hugh.

Sent from MY iPhoneSeís

Larry Medina