Sender:
From:
Chuck Piotrowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2017 16:22:40 -0400
Hi List,

I faced a question like this a few years ago with the dissolution of a
small power utility. I had to work with the legal department to learn our
obligations relating to the dissolved company. The company I worked for had
bought out the company and then dissolved it. The living company assumed
some of the liabilities, thus the record keeping responsibilities, of the
dissolved. One odd situation was regarding site contamination inspection
records (EPA). Basically, the living company had no legal obligations to
deal with any past contamination done by the dissolved company. However,
the legal department determined that since they may be seen as the "last
living relative," someone in the future might try to hold them
accountable/liable for any heretofore undiscovered contamination. Thus,
site records were kept for defense. The legal team did this because the
liability laws for assigning clean-up duty of sites changed enough to
warrant keeping proof of innocence.

- Chuck Piotrowski