Sender:
From:
Amy Van Artsdalen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:40:41 -0400
Hi Steve,

I had the same question a few years ago when it was a topic at the ARMA
conference in San Diego. I specifically asked how can items in the data lake
render records in their native format for use? I was told to come back the
next day when Part II of the topic was being presented. So, I came back on
day 2 but my question was not answered.

I believe that the topic of storage in a data "lake" is conceptual, which
may get me in hot water (ha, ha!) but perhaps someone can answer this
question in this list.

My understanding is that the data is stored in a huge data "lake" and that
information can be queried and searched, regardless of the data format. That
being said - how can you query encrypted data, proprietary data, or legacy
data without some sort of data translator that can work across all data
types and formats? I don't think that technology exists today but I could be
wrong.

Thanks!

Amy