From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2018 16:04:03 -0400
I don't often Twitter search but I recently did search for the term "National Archives" after
seeing the street closure in front of the National Archives and Records Administration
(NARA) this past weekend for the filming of Wonder Woman 1984.  I saw some of the
production set up on Friday and also some of the filming when I worked a museum staffing
assignment on Saturday.  My photos here with follow up links threaded:
https://twitter.com/ArchivesMaarja/status/1007816019874852864   In scrolling through
tweets about the National Archives and the Wonder Woman sequel, I saw a number of
tweets about the Thomas Lipscomb essay about the supposed "Crisis at the National
Archives," which I used in my original message about the benefits of doing better research
before publishing assertions in such essays.

Careful online research in dependable sources and talking to knowledgeable professionals to
hear multiple prspectives may prevent factual or interpretive flaws in such commentary.  At
best, some of the tweets I saw this past weekend about the Lipscomb piece reflected
readers' misunderstanding of a number of government records issues, requirements, and
operations.

Information professionals whose jobs include working with employees or users on matters
that touch on information and news literacy may find these recent Pew Research findings of
interest.  (This can include how records issues are interpreted outside ones workplace.) See
"Distinguishing Between Factual and Opinion Statements in the News"
http://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-
statements-in-the-news/ .  Of particular interest to RM, archivist, and librarian practitioners
who work with customers and clients in the academic and governmental sectors.  But given
the digital aspects, generally useful in understanding readers' dissemination and sharing of
information online, as well.  I know many library and archives professionals who have been
working on good news and information literacy guides, some later shared on Twitter, in their
workplaces.

Maarja
Washington, DC
@ArchivesMaarja