From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:30:39 -0700
I have a department that uses legal size file folders to file paperwork
that are 99.9% letter size documents. Occasionally they have a few legal
size documents and plat maps that, in my opinion, can be folded to fit
in a letter size file. I have suggested to them that they use letter
size files instead but they are insistent that they need to use legal
size files for those occasional legal size documents or plat maps.

First, there's the cost savings of letter vs legal folders. Then, you
can fit 15" of letter files, but only 12" of legal in a cubic foot box.
I'm sure that, in the same filing equipment, you can fit more
letter-sized files than legal-sized. Does anyone have similar numbers
for lateral files. I have tried in vain to get them to switch to shelf
filing, so I'm hoping at least to get them to use the equipment they
have a bit more efficiently.

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes