From:
Susan Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:02:22 -0400
I agree with Peter as most people with some tech savvy will know
something about tagging or metadata.  There are still many people who
don't have much tech savvy even though they may use a computer every
day.

The first thing I usually say to someone who asks about metadata is the
metadata helps you find stuff on the web and in records and document
management systems.  Secondly, a card catalog in a library is a kind of
metadata for libraries, so is a file folder label for file systems.

All of us have at one time or another forgotten to name a document and
found later that it was stored as Document1.  If you are lucky Document1
appeared in your recent document folder and you could rename it so you
could find it again.  If you were not so lucky then Document1 may have
disappeared along with all the other Document1's you may have left in
the system.  Metadata is the stuff that distinguishes a document or an
object so you can find it again.  It's that simple - see below for my
take on information you can't find.

Susan Fitch Brown, MLS
E-Records and Information Management
BNF Technologies at FRA
202 493-6142

"Information is information if you can find it. Information that can't
be accessed isn't information.  It's wasted space." Sfb