From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:56:07 -0700

I've actually found out both ways. I've requested a box that the vendor
couldn't find, and upon closing one of their facilities, they sent a
list of boxes that were in the database but not on the shelf. Their
letter indicated that they had done a thorough search (they delineated
exactly the steps they had taken) and those boxes would be removed from
the database.

It is interesting to note that in the latter case, we insisted that the
boxes must be there somewhere because we had not checked them out, and
after a day or so they "found" the boxes. I thought it odd that after
such an "exhaustive" search (per their letter), they were able to find
the boxes in just a day once notified that they were not in our
possession.

In the other instance, where I had requested a box, the carton was never
found. Since this was for a litigation request, I asked the vendor to
provide us with a letter indicating that we had not checked out the box
but that they had lost it themselves. The letter I got never actually
said that they lost the box, just that they couldn't find it. I thought
it didn't really state what I wanted it to, but our attorneys accepted
the letter as good enough to cover our @$$&$. Now that I'm thinking
about it, I need to check to make sure the box was permed out at N/C to
stop the monthly storage charges.

The bottom line is that I don't trust that the vendor absolutely keeps
track of our boxes, so I insist that our users keep a detailed tracking
log of everything that comes and goes.

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes