From:
"Drew Davis (s)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2018 21:49:35 +0000
Hello,
My name is Drew Davis, and I am the new(ish) archivist for a medical association and also happen to have records management duties. While I've been an archivist for over a decade, I don't have much experience with records management.
My issue: I conducted a records management verification process last year which required contacts on the records retention schedule to "verify" that they were properly disposing of out-of-retention materials. We found that apparently little consideration was ever really given to disposing of digital materials, and that now we have quite a bit of out-of-retention material in fileshares, Oracle, email, etc.
This has also turned into a political issue; our purchasing/contracts department, one of the largest offenders of hoarding digital materials, has shown interest in working to clean up their e-records. At the same time, their director is questioning why they should put time/money into cleaning up their e-records when the info could be discoverable in other places. Some older contracts are still active, and so I don't believe that "purging all records before a certain date" is an option.
My questions are:

*         Have you encountered this situation at your institution? How have you handled it?

*         Do you know of any best-practices guidelines specifically for a situation where a records management program was technically in place, but a department has not been following retention guidelines (for years)?
I've reached out to a few personal contacts who are records managers (and who have provided wonderful guidance), but I've decided to cast a wide net for more input. I appreciate any advice this listserv can provide.
Thank you so much!
Drew Davis, CA
CAP Archivist & Records Manager
College of American Pathologists
325 Waukegan Road, Northfield, IL 60093
Tel: 800-323-4040 ext. 7509 Dir: 847-832-7509 Fax: 847-832-8509
cap.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cap.org_&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=i4AEuUhDyqsF_nJcW6wihbxDOAlv18d2PS_z-d2iMwA&s=Uqx4Qr57nRD94UofYUwayG6TMlgQejrRHmbkNuQqRfA&e=> | @Pathologists<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_Pathologists&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=i4AEuUhDyqsF_nJcW6wihbxDOAlv18d2PS_z-d2iMwA&s=cv8i8QPU9FouTKs0G5g9diHXA2liRmAnxH0AmQmc8Uk&e=> | CAPconnect<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__community.cap.org_&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=i4AEuUhDyqsF_nJcW6wihbxDOAlv18d2PS_z-d2iMwA&s=9eZNLdRToy4DiMnX5txIe_AFUgKIw3KsLWuF4QzETq0&e=>
One of Becker's 150 Great Places to Work in Health Care
A 2014 Chicago Tribune Top Workplace