From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2017 12:51:35 -0400
Good afternoon!  Of particular interest to Federal employees and
contractors but worth considering more broadly as well, even if you just
read about culturally arcane government issues in the news. The *Records
Express* blog of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
features training opportunities, updates, and cogent, savvy overviews of
issues in the news.  https://records-express.blogs.archives.gov/ . Those of
you who work in the Federal environment may already be following it; *Records
Express* is NARA's oldest blog.  But it also serves to clarify issues for
non-Federal RIM practitioners and for the general public, as well.

Two examples, one from 2011 on court records
https://records-express.blogs.archives.gov/2011/08/10/appraisal-of-us-district-court-records/
and
one from 2017 on Review of Accessioned Government Email.
https://records-express.blogs.archives.gov/2017/04/28/review-of-accessioned-email/

The latter especially is useful if you need to reassure busy program
officials unfamiliar with the details of archival practice that NARA does
not do undifferentiated data dumps. And is prepared to take in a wide array
of records.  (In my work in NARA's Office of Presidential Libraries, I
handled the full spectrum of pertinent archival records.).

I looked at recent Federal Transition work this morning at my blog in the
context of Public Service Recognition Week and an awards ceremony yesterday
at NARA.
https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/2017/05/12/the-work-we-do/  In
that context, as Federal contractors or civil service employees, your work
with the Chief Records Officer staff is part of being "agents of the
future," to quote the Archivists Code. Much thanks!

Have a good weekend,

Maarja
@ArchivesMaarja
Blog: https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/