Sender:
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:03:37 -0700
Dwight,

"Chris, if I can respond without pretending to be a lawyer, I will be a
happy camper."

Yes, but I did stay in a Holiday in express last night.

When we destroy records, we also don't attempt to destroy people's
memories of events, transactions, etc...that may be associated with
those records. That memory may be called upon in certain legal
proceedings, but its value as evidence will be weighed accordingly,
based on the trustworthiness of the source (memory, or ERP/database). It
would seem to me that you are raising the same kind of issue. Note also
that this is nothing new: for a long time now we have had the existence
of trusted hard copy records keeping systems shadowing database and
mainframe systems in much the same way you describe.

Good point, but I think the closer analogy would be that in a fully
developed retention schedule, applying to hard copy records (you know the
old technology), all copies and versions are also identified by office,
function, and scheduled out as well. Maybe a less granular or gross view
would be to claim that email when printed out is the final record and the
electronic record is just a reference copy and not needing scheduling? I
know email and databases are not totally analogous, but there you are.

Chris Flynn