Sender:
From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:07:35 -0700
So as I follow this thread, it would begin to seem that we have come full
circle. It used to be we would certify our computer output microfilm
applications to ensure that all COM images were an exact mirror of what was
sent to the customer. Then little by little as computing costs lessoned and
electronic storage became more cost effective and more high density, we
disguard out mirrors in lieu of data bits and bytes floating about in higher
and higher density stacks. Regulations relax (I am thinking of the IRS and
also admisibility of electronic evidence in courts) and coporate business
practices streamline to the point of being ludicrous (I am thinking in terms
of the burst of the .com bubble).

So now you have stingent regulations in the US again. Burt only because a
lot of people lost a lot of money. Is SOX just the start? Have any of you
had to manage document discovery lately? The document requests are insane!

I am thinking that the next time we retire a database, I will suggest going
back to the tried and true - image capture through COM. Document the system
and save the forms flashes. Considering the electronic discoveries I've lead
these last few months, 1984 was just 20 years late.

Sharon Burnett
Seattle Washington USA