Sender:
From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:44:54 -0700
Well, I think when you raise e-mail, you are talking about apples and
oranges. E-mail, as a records "object" does not have the volatility that
the information in a data warehouse does. The purpose of shadowing a
database (if that is necessary - I'm not convinced it always is) is to
create a trusted record that is not subject to the volatility of its
data source. The purpose of entering e-mail into a trusted records
keeping system has less to do with the volatility of the record object
itself, and more to do - at least in the high risk environment you
describe - with controlling its uncontrolled proliferation, maintaining
access, and ensuring disposition is carried out in compliance with the
law. Because e-mail does not have the volatility associated with
database information - having more the characteristics of a document
based system - copies have more value as evidence.

Enjoy your stay!

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records & Distribution Services Manager
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronic & Distribution Services
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741
fax: (503)988-3754