Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:07:51 -0700
At 01:52 PM 10/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Just a little caveat along this line of alternatives to microfilm, since it
>is not clear if the intent is to replace microfilm entirely (Vital records
>too?). Regardless, you must put in place a program that will outlive you. It
>is important to understand that your organization (all organizations really)
>needs a migration plan because of technology changes.

The chief concern along these lines is seeking out a persistent format that
is as vendor neutral as possible.  While you're right that migration to
avoid concerns relate to media degradation and obsolescence is a strong
concern, there is also a need to plan for conversion of file formats if you
are locked into a proprietary format to keep up with operating systems and
application versions.

As far as vital records go, it's not just a "one size fits all" scenario to
consider here... not all vital records are created equal!  Some vital
records are frequently revised, so microfilm may not always be the best
solution, and some are critical to be able to read and use the content from
in the event there is no microfilm reader/printer, or computers available
due to a lack of power shortly following a catastrophic event, so the
concept of having paper copies of your call list and critical account
numbers available as part of your vital records and business continuity
solution isn't unheard of. Another benefit to having paper as the source
for records that potentially change frequently is it's much less expensive
to replace and shred the outdated versions.

>I am currently doing research on alternatives to microfilming our records.
>Any suggestions as to what options are available?  What is available in a
>scanner system that can interact with a Records Management system? Any
>information would be appreciated.

A few more facts might be helpful here to allow for some suggestions for
how to proceed.  Volume of records, formats, are they static or dynamic in
nature, how far away from your main location are the vital records stored,
is there a backup copy IN ADDITION TO the vital records, etc.

Larry