Sender:
From:
Sharon Blackstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:34:14 -0600
John Lovejoy wrote - Am I missing something here?  Records are created
digitally, printed, then scanned for retention?
Why not just capture the digital version for retention?

John,
Some records are created digitally and captured in the imaging system, but
not many yet.  We are fairly new at this, just 3 years into the imaging
program, and began with a focus of scanning closed records and files (moved
from a microfilming program into an imaging program with no new staff and by
collecting funds from several departments, unhappily referred to as our
"bake sale" approach to funding).  Many of our doc's are signed and sealed
and recorded and those don't get imaged until the document is final ("record
copy").  Same with ordinances, resolutions, minutes - we can capture
everything but the signature page digitally and then scan the page with the
signature.  Most of the records we scan are case files which sit in the
department for a couple of years before being scanned - not all the doc's
are created electronically.  In the last year we began a couple of projects
that involved active records, but again, we're talking about paper records,
like sales tax bills and payments, that are submitted by citizens.

Sharon G. Blackstock, CRM
Central Records Administrator
Lakewood City Clerk's Office
480 South Allison Parkway
Lakewood CO 80226-3127
303-987-7091 (office)
303-987-7088 (fax)
www.lakewood.org

Lakewood's records management objectives: 1) Information is available when
needed; 2) Records of permanent value are preserved; 3) Non-permanent
records are destroyed per approved retention schedules; 4) Discarded paper
is recycled.