Sender:
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:18:02 -0400
From:
What John writes is so true.  The link below is to a story about a case here
in Michigan where the data from a vehicle's black box is being used as
evidence in a fatal crash.  In addition to witness testimony about speed,
which can be unreliable for a variety of reasons, they now have "proof" that
the person was traveling at least 20 MPH over the speed limit.  Will that
result in a tougher sentence?  Is that fair?  There was never any doubt that
he was the one driving and little doubt that the accident was his fault.  So
what purpose does the black box data serve?  Many of us in this town were
shocked that such data exists.  It makes you wonder about that newer model
car sitting outside - should you be driving an older one?  Airbags in new
cars make you safer if you are hit, but black boxes make you more likely to
go to jail if you cause an accident?  It bothers me that consumers have not
had a choice and I don't know if it's a fair trade-off.

http://www.record-eagle.com/2004/oct/6fatal.htm

As for the medical records chip, I believe the scanners are used in
conjunction with limited-access databases, but with any system the more ways
there are to access the information (hospitals around the country, even with
passwords, vs. 1 copy in your doctor's office) the more ways there are to
compromise it.  Whether or not a person has known severe allergies or a
sensitive medical condition they don't want others to know about probably
affects individual opinions, though.

Sue Styles
Information Services Supervisor
American Proficiency Institute