Sender:
From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:21:37 -0700
Douglas writes:
"The problem with medical ID bracelets is that while their presence is
informative, their absence is not. That is, no bracelet does not mean the
person has no allergies or other medical conditions that could be critical
for immediate care."

Imagine too being admitted into a hospital taking 14 different medications
and leaving a few days later taking 18 medications - all but 1 different
from when you started! The task of reciting meds and doses can be tough for
a healthy individual, let alone someone who is ill and may not have their
full metal capacity. It is tough on a care giver - sometimes impossible to
provide full documentation to EMPs or in an ER and to do this in a timely
fashion.

Something else to consider - tracking someone who is ill may not just mean
tracking them through a city. It may mean just keeping track of them in the
home so the care giver can sleep without the ever-present worry that their
charge may try and perform an activity they no longer can.

Yes, I can see where such technology has a potential for privacy intrusion
or diabilical use, but when my partner was ill I would have welcomed such a
tool.

Imagine someone blind and disillusional going into your kitchen at 2:00 am
and trying to make toast by running the same bread through the toaster until
it caught on fire. Or accessing power tools - even though you hide them!

Wish I could say I was making this up or didn't have the personal
experience. I know that we all have our reactions and are entitled to those.
But look at this in a different light - one that I hope none of you ever
experience.

Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA