Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:45:47 -0500
From:
"Gary L. Grieme" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:

I think I recall reading about a scenario where a soldier is wounded on
the battlefield, and some vital medical data is read off the chip.  If
the chip just has a 16 digit number, why not just bar code it on their
dog tag instead?

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

>>> "Alan A. Andolsen CMC CRM" <[log in to unmask]> 10/19/2004
11:11:47 AM >>>

Without denying the ethical and social issues associated
with the microchip, I believe that it is important to
note that the chip will only contain a unique 16 digit
number.

All medical data will be in a secure database that would
be retrieved when the RFID scanner 'grabbed' the 16
digit number from the patient, linked it [with the
appropriate security protection] to the info in the
database, and displayed it on a monitor [perhaps a
tablet PC].

Since there is no medical data stored on the microchip,
it would be impossible for someone to walk down a medical
ward and retieve personal info. Only those with the
security clearance to the database and the equipment
necessary to display it owuld have access.

Al
--
Alan A Andolsen CMC CRM
President

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged,
confidential and covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521.

If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, distribute,
or reproduce this transmission.

If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please
notify us immediately of the error by return email and please
delete the message from your system.

Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
http://www.rkmc.com