Sender:
From:
Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:33:29 -0700
None of this is intended as a "knock" against th eposter, only the concept.
>Just to clarify - my concern is outside of the implant itself; I'm concerned
>about implementation.  I understand that there are cases where this
>technology may be a useful tool for doctors and caregivers.And potentially dangerous for the individual who has the chip implanted in them...

>Over the years there have been many different manufacturers of chips and
>scanners. This resulted in non-standardized proprietary technology with
>incompatibility between scanners and chips.  Shelters are already having
>problems with technological obsolescence. Yeah, which is part of my point.. just think about when the "human shelters" start having these problems...

I'm interested in the way this will be implemented for humans.  You too? =) Given the stability of medical care here in the US (who's had the same Healthcare Provider for the past 5 years?  I know mine keeps changing to whoever the employer gets the best deal from...)  this is a big concern, and what happens when someone loses their job, and if they can afford it, takes COBRA coverage?

>I'm worried about having vital records in one company's proprietary >database and providers being forced to pay this one company to access >that information.Oh, I'm SURE this wouldn't happen... here in the US, I'm sure the Guvmit will come to our rescue and offer to control the data for everyone, now THERE'S a comforting thought...

>These fees, along with the implant and registration fees, will be passed
>down to the consumer. The fee for microchipping pets may be nominal. >I'm sure there is less overhead microchipping pets than there would be in >the case of medical records because there are not the same privacy and >security concerns, however.
Well, maybe yes, maybe no.  Where I'd expect to see this first used would be in County and State run facilities, I mean if you're getting subsidized medical care, then it's important that they know you're entitled to it and where your records are, right?  And then there's the Prison population and those in service in the Military, seeing as we should have a lot of information that we can get to anytime we need it on them, right?  And there's limited privacy and security concerns related to these populations, after all, the Government is paying for their care and in some cases lodging, so they SHOULD have this information on them, right?

>If it's implemented so that one company owns the medical records >database (I'm not sure the system could work any other way) this >organization could demand very high fees for access to this information.  >Such fees, along with the implant and registration fees, would definitely >be passed down to patients.Unless it's done "in the best interests" of the portion of the population affected, then it will likely result in HUGE savings and so it would "pay for itself" =)

>Another possible implementation method is to have the database "owned" >by the government instead of by a company.  I'm sure many of you can >imagine the security and privacy concerns that come along with that.SEE?!?!?  I KNEW we'd get to this!

>Until the technology is proven, standardized, and provided inexpensively >to consumers I'm not sure that I would personally opt for a chip.  Suffice to say, I WOULD NEVER "opt" for a chip.  I think the last time people were tagged for a social engineering experiment was in the late 30s, early 40s in central Europe.

>As in the case of microchipping pets, however, I hope that we can find >ways around these issues to help those populations of patients and >caregivers who could benefit from such a service.Personally, I'm in favor of leaving it to the pets.

Here's another thing to think about... you get chipped, then your medical situation changes and the database isn't kept current... like you develop an allergy to a medication, or you start taking another medication and something isn't updated and you're administered something that interacts with it.  Or you're a diabetic, but as with most diabetics, your medication needs change on a daily basis, depending on your food intake and other medical issues, such as stress or other illnesses you may be experiencing.

OR, as mentioned earlier, the database becomes corrupted and is re-loaded from a backup and they use the WRONG backup tape and the information is no longer reflective of your current medical condition... but HEY... THAT would never happen!

=) Larry