Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:52:11 -0700
At 11:45 AM 10/26/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Would you mind sharing how you completed the analysis? Basically, I have
>been asked to do the same thing.  I have requested information from our
>current off-site vendor on imaging vs. paper storage.  I was told that
>none of their law firm customers re using CDs for permanent storage.

Interesting thing to consider here is very few of the records being stored
by law firms belong to the firm... the majority of them belong to the
clients.  The firm may be requested by the clients to retain the records
for some period of time, and in some cases paid directly for that, but
typically it's a part of the fees the clients pay to retain the firm.

About the only "law firm" I can think of that has permanent records is the
Supreme Court =)

Another thing to consider is with your off-site vendor, you pay for
storage, handling (check-in, check-out, delivery) and more than likely you
have a permanent removal fee associated with these records, so if (for some
reason) you decide to image these records, you will need to pay to have
them pulled, delivered, and permanently removed from storage before you
even begin the effort to prep, scan, QC, index and store the images...

And as mentioned by a couple of others, NO... CDs are not recommended for
permanent storage (however you define 'permanent') But whatever media form
you elect to store the images on, there will be a need to consider (and
budget for) periodic conversion and constant migration and verification of
the images to newer, fresher media to avoid obsolescence over the intended
storage period.

Larry