Sender:
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:13:52 +1000
From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Bill,

The risk you run with a normal courier company is that they are not often up
to speed with the best way to handle media. Usually they do not have
vehicles that can cope with high/low heat and humidity.

Even though this is not as critical as some would have you believe,
depending on your part of the world a tape cooking or freezing in the
vehicle can cause your problems.

So say you have 50 tapes, and you send some offsite Monday to Friday, you
would be looking at a cost of (52*5*$15)=$3900 for transport, and around
(50*12*25c)=$150 per year storage for a proper vault.

Compared to the ($5*5*52)=$1300 you pay for a standard courier.

I suppose it boils down to a risk thing, personally
($3900+150-$1300)/52=$52.88 per week extra for the peace of mind is well
worth the money. Especially if you do/don't have a reciprocal agreement
where you and the other guy gets out of bed at 2am on Christmas morning to
deliver a tape back.

But it is still better than doing nothing if that is your criteria.

Gerard