Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:28:21 -0700
At 10:42 AM 10/27/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Larry, I think you raise important issues, but I think this report is
>more geared towards creating the conditions in which those issues can be
>effectively addressed over the long term.

Dwight-

It sounds as though what you're working on (and have put in place) is an
excellent start and if you keep on it wil achieve your stated goals.

My concern about the NARA project is they aren't looking to "creating
conditions", but they are actually looking to establish a system, including
finite functional requirements in FY 2005 and implement profiles in the FEA
(Federal Enterprise Architecture) for Agencies, including  the adoption of
a metadata standard by Agencies by FY 2006.

When you look at the list of the ERPWG members, there are a LOT OF AGENCIES
who aren't represented, many of whom have extremely complex record types
and are faced with the same requirements for retention, up to and including
"Life of the Republic" who have work done primarily by Contractors.  The
work is maintained throughout it's active life by the Contractors, then at
some point, scheduled for transfer to the agencies and ultimately to
NARA.... so much of this record material is "legacy"in nature to the
decisions being made in 2005/06.

It doesn't look as though any consideration is being given to this large
volume of information that is going to be subject to the decisions made by
this Council and these Working Groups, in part because the impacted
agencies aren't members and in part because they may be unaware that it
(the information) exists.

Larry

Larry Medina
...not all information is created equal !!

LLNL Records and Archives Group
B-411, Room 1307   2-7628