Sender:
From:
Catherine Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:48:56 -0500
Your organization requires an strong email policy to prevent having
someone go through an email account, classify and retain official
information. Been there, done that for 2 accounts containing over 10,000
emails. I is not fun, fast or the best use of resources.

When employees are about to depart (for greener pastures?) they should
be reminded that any emails considered official records should have been
retained in the appropriate repositories. If not, they need to do that
before walking out the door. A sign-off sheet sometimes helps with
that.

Wherever I've worked I've included as part of RIM training to
management a Departing Employee records mgt check list that asks if the
employee has saved email to shared directories or printed them for the
appropriate paper file. And a copy of the sign-off sheet.

Good luck.

Catherine Howard
Records Management Coordinator
Ontario Energy Board