Sender:
From:
"Mallory, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:20:34 -0600
I'm inclined to agree with everyone who's chimed in on the subject.  Most
executives could benefit from some general RM training as part of the
curriculum in MBA courses, not unlike finance and other similar topics. RM
content would probably be useful to folks pursing a computer science or
management information systems degree, as well.

I don't have a master's degree, yet. I will probably pursue one in library
science.  This is because I don't see any RM specific courses offered in any
other degree plan.  The University of Texas at Austin has also been careful
to add many electronic information based courses to its curriculum over the
past few years.  These offerings appeal to me more as a prospective student
than courses offered in MBA or computer science degree plans.  I like the
well-rounded curriculum a library science degree offers.  (I should say UT's
degree, I haven't looked at many other schools' curriculums.)

I'm not sure that I would prefer a master's degree focused solely on RM.  My
career is in its infancy and I think that having a more generalized degree
couldn't hurt at this point.  However, this is a personal preference and I
certainly understand why others would like to see a tailored degree plan or
just more courses concerning records management.

Alicia Mallory
Records Retention Analyst
Teacher Retirement System of Texas