Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:14:52 -0500
From:
Edward Galvin <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
Let me elaborate a bit.

We specifiy the type of boxes that our records center clients MUST use
to store in our records center - because of shelving size and safety
concerns.  We do not however pay for those boxes ourselves, it is the
responsibility of the depatment that wants to store in the records
center.

If a department had material that they needed to store and it would not
fit in a standard box, it would be them, not us, that would have to come
up with a suitable box.  Whatever they wanted to use would still have to
meet our standards.

Alice's question involved the cost of oversize storage boxes.   I still
say the cost of those boxes would be the department's responsibility,
not ours.

Ed Galvin

Edward L. Galvin, Director
Archives and Records Management
Syracuse University
6th Floor,  E. S. Bird Library
Syracuse, NY  13244-2010
315-443-9760
315-443-4053 (fax)
http://archives.syr.edu/

I'm not happy with the first part of Ed's reply to this one. Our
(internal) customers must use only the archive boxes we specify. So if
they need oversize boxes it's our role to find suitable ones.

Mind you, the customers pay, both for the boxes, and for the expensive
non-standard storage. But it's our problem to identify suitable boxes.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders MRMA
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Bloggs and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.