Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:34:20 -0800
Based on this excerpt from the article on the flood in Hawaii, I would say
it SHOULDN'T be taught in the "School of Library and Information
Sciences"... at least not there!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Nov/02/ln/ln29p.html

Volunteers worked doggedly to salvage some of the 90,000 maps and tens of
thousands of archival photographs that were drenched when a river of muddy
water roared through the basement of Hamilton Library, tearing out walls,
ripping down bookcases and ruining card catalogs and computer servers.

The basement housed the university's map collection, government documents
room, collections services staff, and the School of Library and Information
Sciences. The flood also knocked out a computer room that allows online
searching of the library's collections.

More irreplaceable were the one-of-a-kind collections, like the first known
aerial photographs of Micronesia or dozens of rare maps dating to the 1700s.
"This has been a major depository for decades," Ehrhorn said. "We're
optimistic that a lot can be saved, but time is a big factor."

I can't believe the organization responsible for the management of these
unique records, some of which date back to the 1700s and include hand drawn
maps, etc. would allow them to be stored in a below ground location
adjacent to a river!  I realize that sometimes space is at a premium, but
any RIM knows better than to place things of this nature directly in harm's
way and not to allow something like this to happen to holdings such as these.

Larry