Sender:
From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:50:13 +1100
Dunno about down there but up here in oz the proportion of military RMers
isn't as high as it seems over there, at least based on what I see on the
list. Certainly very very few of us own guns.

 I've worked with quite a few ex military people (including my current ex
navy boss), and several of them have commented that it's a lot to do with
the retirement age. In the military it seems they have an inverse age
practice based on the idea that the lower your rank, the more likely you
are to have to leap about and be active, so if you haven't made high rank
by the time you are, say, 40, you can see a limited future. Therefore
those with foresight, or those who always planned a relatively limited
military career, plan to move on. The availability of on line and distance
education courses, and support from your current (military) employer, is a
significant component of second career choice.

So up here, a few ex military end up in RM or as library technicians. But
most I've come across (like my boss) end up in logistics, for which they
have been well trained. My boss' empire covers procurement, property and
RM. I've also worked with an office / organisation relocation company run
by an ex navy officer. There are some ex military also in the offsite
storage business.

So it's a combination of activity level vs age, and being well trained in
logistics.

All anecdotal evidence I'm afraid, but it's an important issue when
considering the shape of future RM education..

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders MRMA
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Bloggs and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.