Sender:
From:
Edward Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:40:49 -0500
I have been involved in a number of moves and have spoken to a few vendors
about this. It appears to me to be dependent on the specific situation. For
example, many businesses in my area (NJ) and probably Boston require (?!!)
unionized workers to dissassemble/move. This instantly makes the cost of
moving existing shelving unreasonable. You could install new tracking, as
recommended in this thread, and move the shelves if your building (or both
buildings) can accomodate this. Being frugal, I agree with many on the list
that it doesn't make sense to discard the old and install new but there may
be other factors in the mix. I recommend that you get the vendor to explain
all of the specific reasons why, in your specific case, you should go with
a new install. Sometimes it is just easier for the vendor which is not a
legit reason!
So here's a start-up business idea for someone: drive around with a big
truck and a bunch of workers and start unistalling and buying up all of the
abandoned shelving out there. Then sell this back to the vendors...

Ed Baldwin
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
Morris Plains, NJ 07950

The opinions expressed above are my own and not necessarily the view of my
employer...