Sender:
From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:29:26 -0500
California
Librarians' Guild AFSCME Local 2626
http://www.librariansguild.org/

Massachusetts
BPLPSA Boston Public Library Professional Staff Association
BostonPublicLibProfessionalStaffAssociation.library-blogs.net
http://www.google.com/search?q=bplpsa&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22boston+public+library+professional+staff+association%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

AFSCME Council 93 Local 1526
http://www.afscme.org/publications/public_employee/1998/pemj9806.htm
http://www.landlaw.com/customer/viewdecisions.asp?flag=Y&did=2249
http://www.afscme.org/publications/public_employee/1997/peso9704.htm
http://www.google.com/search?q=afscme+%22council+93%22+%22local+1526%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Minnesota
Minneapolis Public Library AFSCME Local 99
http://local99mplib.bravehost.com/

New Jersey
Princeton University Library Assistants AFSCME Local 956
http://libweb2.princeton.edu/pula/

New York
Queens Library Guild, AFSCME Local 1321
http://www.local1321.org/

Brooklyn Library Guild Local 1482
http://www.local1482.org/

The New York Public Library Guild, AFSCME Local 1930, DC 37
http://www.local1930.org/

Pennsylvania
AFSCME Local 590, Library Support Staff - Univ. of Pennsylvania
http://www.dc47afscme.org/local590/

Washington
KCLS Union - King County Library System
http://www.kclsvoice.org/

Wisconsin
Milwaukee Public  Library & Federated Library Employees Local 426
http://www.afscme48.org/local426.html

by Jon Goliber
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Ys4yTZ6w3m0J:www.afscme1067.org/newsletter/issue1.doc+afscme+%22council+93%22+%22local+1526%22&hl=en
http://www.afscme1067.org/newsletter/issue1.doc.

FAVORITE GRIEVANCES

The Holy Water Grievance
by Jon Goliber

Jon Goliber worked at the Boston Public Library.

As chief steward for the Union, AFSCME Local 1526,
Jon filed grievances to protect the working conditions of
library employees.

Most of the issues were pretty cut-and-dried,
but every once in a while...

About twenty years ago, I was confronted with one of those situations,
which exceeded the bounds of normal grievance procedure.

An employee at the library had a peculiar way of viewing things.

If the air quality was poor, she talked of devils in the
ventilation system; if a room was chilly, she complained of
conspiracies against her health.

For several years, Bernice [not her real name]
had been feuding with another employee.

They would gesture and fling comments at one another
across the department floor.

One day, in an efficiency move, the administration
transferred Bernice and her antagonist to another department.

The two of them ended up sitting next to each other
which created an uproar.

I interceded and filed a grievance.

Part-timers were doing her old duties and
I thought that moving her back might settle the war.

The library actually agreed and
Bernice was to be returned with one proviso.

She would have to sit at her antagonists old desk.

She refused, saying it had the mark of the devil on it.

I complained bitterly that the library was
screwing around with a grievance.

Four management reps, Bernice, and myself convened a hearing in the
office of the personnel director (an ex-FBI agent).

I accused the library of dealing in bad faith and
trying to force Bernice out on the street.

I was beside myself as I sat and listened to them explain to her
how she should "try it" for a week.

They were insisting, she was refusing, and as the scene progressed
I saw some similarities in the players.

Management the good, God-fearing proprietors, and
Bernice the believer in devils.

Damn!

I had a hunch and interrupted,
"What if we sprinkled holy water on the desk?"

Bernice turned to me and said, "Thats a great idea."

I noticed the incredulous looks on their faces and knew
I'd hit paydirt.

"In fact I know Father Boyle at the Labor Guild, and
 I know he'd do it."

One management rep gasped.
"You mean like an exorcism?
 On library time?"

He looked at Bernice and me.
"Will you excuse us while we talk?"

Bernice and I waited outside while
the library decided which new desk and typewriter to give her.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Ys4yTZ6w3m0J:www.afscme1067.org/newsletter/issue1.doc+afscme+%22council+93%22+%22local+1526%22&hl=en
This is the html version of the file
http://www.afscme1067.org/newsletter/issue1.doc.

Council  93