Sender:
From:
Jim Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:13:25 -0800
Juliana,

In the University System in Oregon, we use the following:
Records Management Records
OAR 166-475-0085(12)
This series documents the retention and disposition of records created by the institution's offices and the production of an institutional records retention and disposition schedule approved and authorized by the State Archivist. This series may include but is not limited to: records destruction authorizations; records inventory worksheets; special records disposition schedules; records transmittal lists; guides to microfilmed records; and related documentation and correspondence.

Retention:

Record Copy:
(a) Permanent for records destruction authorizations, records transmittal lists, and guides to microfilmed records;
(b) 5 years for all other records

Other copies:
(a) Permanent for records destruction authorizations, records transmittal lists, and guides to microfilmed records;
(b) 5 years for all other records

The permanent records are maintained to provide a record of the normal course of business.

Hope this helps.

Jim

From:    Julianna Trivers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Retentions for records of destroyed boxes and files

Hi all,

We are re-evaluating the retention periods for our records management
system.  Once records have been destroyed, how long should the records of
them in a records management system be retained?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Julianna Trivers
Records Analyst/Archivist
City of Thunder Bay Archives