Sender:
From:
"Smith, Richard E. (STL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:02:10 -0600
Fern, metrics should be linked to department goals. Measuring things
just to be measuring them is just plain dumb. Metrics need to tell a
story and a story over time. I maintain a very strong opinion that
comparing one months activity to another just doesn't tell you much.
However looking at three years worth of data often shows trends that are
useful and should help you tell a good story about how well the
department is meeting its service commitments how well automated systems
are helping lower cost and speed service and a host of other things. Of
course you may not have three years worth of data. Therefore no better
place to start then today.

In another life I managed a large Master file which was essentially a
Central File for the Contracts Department for McDonnell Douglas/Boeing.
After 19 years we settled on the following metrics for measuring our
success and goal achievements. We also took great pride in talking about
meeting our cycle time goals of 99% of all request for records were
filled in under 30 minutes or less. We pointed to our open shelf mobile
filing systems, full color coded files and the automated indexing
systems, well trained staff and consistent interaction with our central
file customers as the reason for our success

The following measures are what we used for the Program Master File and
a special master file.

Incoming Mail Processed (includes U.S. Mail Received and sorted for
distribution to Master File
Service Centers for forwarding to various program contracts
administrators for routing instructions.

Incoming Mail Processed (service center mail, plus DCMA mail, DCMA
direct and Direct Mail)
Outgoing Mail Processed (Distribution required, electronic and received
for indexing)

Outgoing Mail received as just logs (Manual count)

Just Logs processed  (OPUS)

Request for files (Manual count)

Request Cycle Time (Manual
count)
*       30 minutes or Less
*       30 minutes to 1hour
*       8 hours to 40 hours
*       40 Hours +

Off-site Record Box Transfers

Contract Close-Out activities completed

EEO Master File

New Files received

Request for files

Cycle time for request
*       30 minutes or Less
*       30 minutes to 1hour
*       8 hours to 40 hours
*       40 Hours +

Hope this helps

Richard E. Smith, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
Express Scripts, Inc.
(314) 702-7151