Sender:
From:
Janet L Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:13:55 -0600
I am hoping that some of our members who are more technology savvy than me
can shed some light on a problem we ran into this week-end.  Here is what I
know.
1.  One of our departments has been saving large numbers of files (400 -
500 files) through Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
2.  For a number of reasons they are using some very long file names.
Apparently a couple saved before the Thanksgiving holiday weekend where too
long.
3.  Microsoft allowed the files to be saved and gave no warning about the
length of the file names.
4.  Over the week-end (of course it had to be a long week-end) those files
with the too long names caused the backup process to fail.  Microsoft
wouldn't allow access to them, is what I have been told.
5.  An IT person working to get the backups going again, renamed the
problem files.

No information was lost, but the administrative assistant from that area
aged significantly when she went to find those files this morning and they
weren't there.  The IT person didn't leave her a message letting her know
what he had done and why.  I have strongly suggested to IT that if
something like this happens again to be sure to leave a message for the
person involved and to put out a news alert in our company newsletter.

I am concerned that this may happen again and the next time we may have
information loss.  We have just purchased electronic records management
software, but are no where near ready to implement it.

Does any one have any experience with this? Any suggestions on how to
handle this?

Thanks.

Janet
Janet Nelson CRM