Sender:
From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:38:41 +1100
Michael has given excellent advice, but I'd like to add another warning:
if you are on a network, it is highly likely that it has been set up using
drive mapping, so the real path may be hidden from you. What you think of
as, in my case, G:\Corporate Services\Document Management, is really much
longer and more complicated, because your shared drive is really one of
many folders on a totally different disk.

This makes it really easy inadvertently to exceed the 256 char limit and /
or the other limit of not more than 8 levels in a folder hierarchy (at
least on our Win2k network), and hence problems with CD burning and backup
software.

Incidentally, using the old DOS approach once saved some essential files
for a friend of mine. His hard disk was failing (as they do), and although
the machine would boot, we couldn't read the disk from Windows 98. The
local tame techo (too young to remember pre-Windows) shrugged his spindly
shoulders. But an old DOS rescue disk from another PC worked, and I was
able to copy all the files to diskette, albeit with pretty meaningless
file names. I'd never previously tried to use the tilde as part of a file
name, but it worked, much to our relief.

So all those years learning DOS command line syntax and BAT file
programming weren't wasted!

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders MRMA
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Bloggs and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.