Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:28:01 -0800
At 01:41 PM 11/29/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>I was hoping, as members of the ARMA list serve, you could provide me
>with some examples of your organization email enforcement methodologies.

=)   Well, first things first... THIS IS **NOT** an ARMA Listserv!  This is
a free enterprise available to anyone, ARMA members and non-ARMA members,
RIM Practitioners and Non-RIM Practitioners alike.

ARMA has a Member Forum in the members only area of their website for those
interested in speaking to "ARMA Folk Only".

>How does your organization ensure compliance with the email policy?

Almost all organizations ensure adherence to policy through audits, formal
and/or informal of procedures and records inventories.

>For example, does you organization focus on training and promoting the
>records retention policy with regards to email?

Policies can be posted on a website, followed by articles in newsletters
and then a "train-the-trainer" approach can be used if you have a
distributed control system in your organization so that training is
provided to a small number of individuals and then more direct, detailed
training can be provided to users in their organizations.

>Or, do you have other
>methodologies such as using technology: automatic deletion period,
>automatic archive, or other technology based assistance?

Some organizations issue a policy statement with guidance regarding planned
automatic deletions of messages over a certain number of days old (NOT a
"best practice" way of doing things) or they establish maximum volumes of
e-mail storage per user, or they might use a combination of these.  More
and more, organizations are attempting to rely on taxonomical searching and
auto classification/categorization software, but these are really not there
yet, when it comes to accuracy.  They are "learning systems" that will
(over time) become more familiar with your organization's policies for
retention... but they can't be relied in for instituting destruction holds
and moratoriums.  Some level of human intervention is still needed.

>Also, regularly
>auditing email accounts?

A critical component of ANY policy.

>Your comments or examples may be used during the Greater Seattle
>Chapter ARMA December meeting regarding Email Policy Enforcement.

Please let me know if you plan to use any of the comments provided.

>Your comments would be appreciated!

That's my story.... and I'm stickin' to it!

Larry