Sender:
From:
"Gary L. Grieme" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:39:50 -0600

Funny thing, attorneys can be the worst offenders.  Which might seem odd
considering working with documents is practically their way of life.
Maybe it's just the volume of documents they work with, where the
problems we notice are a tiny percentage of the filing that they get
right.  When you hand files to them, trust but verify.

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

Ginny Jones wrote,

"We have found large gaps in our historical and long-term retention
operational records where originals were sent to attorneys in the past
and never returned to us."

A long-standing practice in our office was to let attorneys check out
court files on the "honor system."  I will withhold comment about the
wisdom of that policy.  I had worked here before, worked for an attorney
for several years, then came back as department supervisor.  One of the
things I pushed for was a change in this policy.  Now the attorneys can
only check out a file with a court order, and must return it within 2
weeks.  I also recently implemented an "out card" system that helps
speed refiling.

Over the years we have lost hundreds of original court files from this
"honor system," including one I checked out for another attorney which
had our only copy of an important map in it.  The attorney changed firms
and couldn't find the file in either office.  We finally got a copy of
the map from one of the heirs who by chance came into our office one
day.  Another file, checked out in 1932, was found by Mormon
microfilmers a few years ago in a county over a hundred miles away!

Tim Barnard, Land Records Clerk
Harrison County, Mississippi
Phone (228) 865-4121 Fax (228) 868-1480

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged,
confidential and covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521.

If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, distribute,
or reproduce this transmission.

If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please
notify us immediately of the error by return email and please
delete the message from your system.

Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
http://www.rkmc.com