Sender:
From:
"Michael, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:42:23 -0700
The DOE records citation is in administrative schedule 18, item 21.3.
The link is here
http://cio.doe.gov/RBManagement/Records/PDF/RS-DOEADM18.PDF

The text of the item is:

[Item] 21.3 Pre-Employment Background Investigation. (N1-434-98-21)

Pre-employment background files include records of investigations for
DOE and contractor employees and consultants, subcontractors, and their
employees and consultants, and other others seeking employment or who
otherwise require an access authorization. The files are used to
determine the eligibility of granting access authorizations and may
include the following letters and completed forms for each individual
being considered: drug screen consent, credit reports, authorization for
release of information, request to process, negative drug screen
results, letters generated from personnel security requesting
information on applicants police, driving, academic, previous
employment, military, and personal references, subcontractor employment
application, security acknowledgment, medical records including employee
assistance program, and employment eligibility verification.

For legal purposes, if an applicant is not approved for hire it is
necessary to retain the pre-employment files to permit reconstruction or
validation of actions taken in the event of appeal or legal action. (If
applicant is hired, the pre-employment investigation file is transferred
to the person's personnel security file).

a. For those approved but not hired.

Cut off at the end of the fiscal year. Destroy 2 years after cutoff or
date of background investigation.

b. For those disapproved for hire.

Cut off at the end of the fiscal year. Destroy 5 years after cutoff or
date of preemployment background investigation.

[end of schedule citation]

Hope this clarifies the misunderstanding between Larry and Chris...
(but, probably won't)

Lee Michael