Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:12:46 -0800
At 01:42 PM 12/13/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>The DOE records citation is in administrative schedule 18, item 21.3.
>The link is here
>http://cio.doe.gov/RBManagement/Records/PDF/RS-DOEADM18.PDF
>
>The text of the item is:
>
>[Item] 21.3 Pre-Employment Background Investigation. (N1-434-98-21)
>
>Pre-employment background files include... and employment eligibility
>verification.
>
>For legal purposes, if an applicant is not approved for hire it is
>necessary to retain the pre-employment files .... (If
>applicant is hired, the pre-employment investigation file is transferred
>to the person's personnel security file).
>
>a. For those approved but not hired.
>
>Cut off at the end of the fiscal year. Destroy 2 years after cutoff or
>date of background investigation.
>
>b. For those disapproved for hire.
>
>Cut off at the end of the fiscal year. Destroy 5 years after cutoff or
>date of preemployment background investigation.
>
>[end of schedule citation]
>
>Hope this clarifies the misunderstanding between Larry and Chris...
>(but, probably won't)

Nope... it doesn't.. and it wasn't Chris and I that were at odds on the
citation =)

Your citation above is related to:

a) THOSE APPROVED BUT NOT HIRED
b) THOSE DISAPPROVED FOR HIRE

The GRS citation I gave was for HIRED AND EMPLOYED individuals, which is
GRS 18/22a:

PERSONNEL SECURITY CLEARANCE FILES. Personnel security clearance case files
created under OPM procedures and regulations and related indexes maintained
by personnel security offices

Personnel Security Clearance Case Files. Documenting the processing of
investigations on federal employees or applicants for federal employment,
whether or not a security clearance is granted, and other persons, such as
those performing work for a federal agency under contract, who require an
approval before having access to government facilities or to sensitive
data. These files include questionnaires, summaries of reports prepared by
the investigating agency, and other records reflecting the processing of
the investigation and the status of the clearance. Exclusions: Copies of
investigative reports furnished by the investigating agency.

TEMPORARY. Destroy upon notification of death or not later than 5 years
after separation or transfer of employee or no later than 5 years after the
contract relationship expires, whichever is applicable. GRS 18/22a

There is no DOE Schedule for these documents, I've checked time and time
again... that's why we cite the GRS requirement.

Larry