Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:12:40 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:01:02 -0600, Roach, Bill J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >>Today? I'd say as an electronic document, preferably in an ERMS, else
> an EDMS.<<
>
> Any estimates of what percent of State and local government agencies
> have and EDMS solution?  I would be surprised is the number is 1 in 500.
> Probably closer to 1 in 1000.

based upon what I've seen while compiling RAIN postings, I would say
that most local governments are implementing not EDMS solutions that
will help them operate more efficiently but rather are implementing
systems that allow the public to have greater access to the records
they want ie real estate and court.

An EDMS solution needs to be as unintrusive, easy to use, ubiquitous
and if at all possible easy to learn and implement.

What we, ie the RIM profession, need to do is see how organizations
implemented their financial accounting systems, which in my mind are
analogous to an EDMS implementation. A financial system operates in
the digital and paper world. Certain functions are assigned to key
individuals within departments. Controls, procedures etc are all
established. invoices cann't be paid unless certain criteria are met.
well hopefully you get my drift

peterk